Ramblings of a Brit girl living in Sydney

Everyday musings on life in the Motherland vs. life in Oz

Monday, June 22, 2009

Homesick for Wiltshire weirdness

Yesterday was the shortest day of the year in Oz, and the longest day of the year in the Motherland. I'd never thought about how that would be the case on the same day until then.

In the UK, and particularly Wiltshire where I'm from, the Summer Solstice (as it is there) means the wonderful crazies and pagans come out in force to dance around and worry the police at Stonehenge and Avebury (OK, so crazies isn't a very politcally correct term but I'm not in the UK anymore!).

Having lived just down the road from Avebury Stone Circle all my childhood, I had the pleasure of witnessing these usually peaceful gatherings for myself. And let me tell you, they don't call it Weird Wiltshire for nothing!

There's something very magical about Stonehenge and Avebury though. You've gotta love that mystery and today, I miss you Wiltshire! With your stone circles, crop circles, ancient burial mounds, inexplicable Silbury Hill and UFO sightings, you will always be home.

2 comments:

  1. Ah bless ya Jen - I'm sure Wiltshire misses you too.

    Lova ya lots, Sheila xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. "crazies" !!

    Stonehenge is always going to be a bit of a mystical place, despite the fact you get get to touch the stones anymore

    ReplyDelete