Ramblings of a Brit girl living in Sydney

Everyday musings on life in the Motherland vs. life in Oz

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Christmas in July

Thought I'd tell my Pommy readers about a strange phenomenon that happens in Oz this month: Christmas in July. All over Sydney (where it's currently winter, remember) people are having festive 'fake' Christmases all over the place! How bizarre!

Here's Wiki's explanation: "In the southern hemisphere, Christmas in July is the name given to social events with a winter Christmas theme, as July is generally the coldest month of the year. Midwinter 'Christmas' or Yulefest is an unofficial Midwinter/Yuletide related celebration followed by some families, mainly those with a English or European background in Australia and New Zealand during the wintertime (which in the Southern Hemisphere falls into the June-July-August period). There is no official holiday, and the date of observance varies from place to place and even family to family, though it is often around the time of the shortest day or winter solstice, which in the Southern Hemisphere is June 20 or 21."

Now, I haven't been to any Christmas in July celebrations but I have a plan to celebrate my birthday (July 1) next year with a Christmas theme. Seeing as I've gone from having a sunny UK birthday to a wintry Oz birthday, I might as well at least cash in one the festive theme, right?

Experiencing my first hot Christmas here last year was a little odd and I really missed huddling around a roaring open fire, drinking mulled wine (well actually, I still did that anyway) and getting layered up for a big walk with someone's dogs on a frosty morning. I can't complain though, as this Christmas two of my best Pommy friends are coming over to celebrate with me and I'm sure we'll add a few UK Christmas traditions into the mix. I'll happily not cook turkey again though. Bring on the seafood!

2 comments:

  1. I love Chrimbo in July! It's hugely popular in the Blue Mountains and Southern Highlands, where it gets all frosty and proper wintry. We should check one out next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would LOVE to go to one in the Mountains next year. How nice would that be?! We will plan a group weekend away...

    ReplyDelete