Ramblings of a Brit girl living in Sydney

Everyday musings on life in the Motherland vs. life in Oz

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Feeling kinda homesick

My little (25 year-old) sister will be meeting me at London Heathrow on Friday lunchtime. We haven't seen each other for 13 long months. I'm convinced it's going to be the kind of Love Actually airport moment I've always hankered after, unlike the tears when I left. Can't wait.
It's funny, I've been here in Oz over a year and I've not had many moments of real homesickness. But now, knowing I'll be back in just a few days, I'm remembering all the people I'm missing and how much I miss them. And I'm already dreading saying goodbye to them again at the end of my three-week trip.
I love my life here, much more than my old UK life, but living on the other side of the world is tough. I think it's easy to forget just how far away you are and then, faced with a 24-hour plane journey (ugh), it brings it all back into reality. If I'd stuck to my original plan and not fallen in love with this country, I'd be home by now and there'd be no going back to visit, then leaving again. It's going to be a real test and I think it will make me realise whether I love it here enough to leave all those people behind again. Because if I didn't, I'd sure as hell miss all my friends here, big time.
There are a lot of things to consider when you move overseas. And if you had to make the final decision whether it would be forever before you made the move, few would do it. But you just have to take a chance sometimes and you never can predict what's going to happen.
On the plus side, only three more sleeps until I leave! Yippee!!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh gosh you are bringing back all the feelings I had at Christmas when I went home for 3 weeks. I got homesick before, loved being home (it takes precisely 17 mins in your parents house before you feel like you never left the country), and didn't want to come back.

    However... once got back I was happier than I was even before I went.

    You will learn that life carries on but you aren't actually missing out because you are having the time of your life out here.

    I expect to see you in a month, settled right back into the north shore and happy as larry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Em! It is good to know it's not just me!

    ReplyDelete