Ramblings of a Brit girl living in Sydney

Everyday musings on life in the Motherland vs. life in Oz

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Cafes, bars, shops and lots of style!

Here' s a photo of my friend Caroline and I in fab Melbourne restaurant The Press Club where we had some great Greek food. So what else do I love about my new favourite city? Well, it's the whole vibe of the thing! The shops (like Christine) are amazing and way better than those in Sydney. There's a cafe culture that's very Parisian and the place has a very European look and feel about it. It's more relaxed and, as my friend Laura rightly pointed out, you don't see many "orange stick insects with ironed blonde hair extensions" in Melbourne! Everyone's very stylish in a unique and less try-hard way and I like it. The bars (like The Supper Club and 1806) are amazing and all hidden behind nondescript doors, down dingey alleyways that you'd never visit unless someone told you where they were. And even the seriously cool ones are relaxed and friendly and people don't look you up and down to check out what you're wearing or who you're with. It's very...well..comfortable. I don't think I've ever gone somewhere for the first time and so quickly thought: "I could live here!" And once you've moved from London to Sydney, moving to Melbourne is nothing! I'm not ready to leave my friends and my job just yet, but it's definitely in my three-year plan, probably a lot sooner than three years! Watch this space! If you're coming to visit me from the UK, don't assume I'll be in New South Wales forever...

No comments:

Post a Comment