Ramblings of a Brit girl living in Sydney

Everyday musings on life in the Motherland vs. life in Oz

Friday, March 27, 2009

Russell Brand on Jade Goody

Russell Brand blogged about Jade Goody today and it was an interesting post; honest, good natured, sensible, not overly sentimental and from someone who actually knew her, if only a bit. If you've been following this, I'd recommend you read it because it's real.
It made me consider a couple of things:
1. That I lost my mum to cancer, like Bobby and Freddie, when I was three years old, and how terribly sad that is for them; and
2. It is really not such a terrible thing that the general public took to this mere mortal. After all, she never did anyone any harm. She was just a nice, normal, working class girl done good. So what if she wasn't the cleverest? She was certainly entertaining.
As Russell sensibly points out: "One of the charges often levelled at Jade was that she was just a normal girl with no trade or practiced skills. Well people didn’t care and our heroes are not prescribed to us, we have the right to choose them and the people chose Jade. Fame has long been bequeathed by virtue of wealth and birth and this was the first generation where it was democratically distributed by that most lowbrow of modern phenomena – Reality Television. She was a person who, I think due to her class always had the propensity to irk people. When Big Brother 3 made her famous she was vilified in the paper and bullied in the house but through her spirit she won people back round and became a kind of Primark Princess with perfumes and fitness videos and endless media coverage – because people were interested in her. They remain interested."
For all his silliness, he's a smart guy.

4 comments:

  1. He really is. You know what though? I can't hear his voice when I read that. I don't doubt he wrote it (as I said on my own blog recently he is evidently a very clever chap) but that makes the in-person act less real, which is a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean. Have you read his Booky Wook? I totally heard his voice in that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speaking of which, do you still have my copy?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sure do. It is safely at my house :)

    ReplyDelete