Ramblings of a Brit girl living in Sydney

Everyday musings on life in the Motherland vs. life in Oz

Monday, March 2, 2009

On Marmite

So here it is, the thing I miss most about the UK after all these months: my beloved Marmite. Don't get me wrong, I still consume Marmite but not with such regularity because one of those teeny tiny jars of it costs me about AU $12 over here. Luckily, some of my friends back home are still kind enough to send me supplies and (when Customs let it through) I'm ever so grateful. The problem is though, since Marmite 'cleverly' released its squeezy version, people opt to send me that instead of the good old-fashioned glass jar version because airmail ain't cheap. But it just isn't the same, it's too runny!

Which brings me to my next point. Marmite is not the same as, or even vaguely similar to, your Australian Vegemite. Marmite has a consistency like treacle and is almost black and very very shiny (it's a thing of glossy beauty) whereas Vegemite (which, although inferior, isn't so bad) is brown in colour, has a consistency like butter and is nowhere near as shiny, or as salty for that matter. So, while I can live without most things (notice things, not people) from the UK, I will never give up my Marmite. Just look at its old-school design! That branding hasn't changed in years and that yellow and red logo is almost as iconically British to me as red telephone boxes and the Union Jack. God Save Marmite!

If anyone wants to send me a jar (plastic or glass), you only have to ask for my address.

No comments:

Post a Comment