Ramblings of a Brit girl living in Sydney

Everyday musings on life in the Motherland vs. life in Oz

Monday, March 2, 2009

Why I really shouldn't be a whingeing Pom

I'm off work sick today. The less said about the preceding sleepless night and associated tummy troubles, the better. But sitting here on the sofa feeling sorry for myself I have realised something: I really don't have a lot to feel sorry about. I say this because I'm looking out through my open balcony doors at a beautiful sunny day and a priceless view of Sydney Harbour, the bridge, the opera house, etc (not showing off, merely commenting, honest!). You don't get much more iconic or well known a cityscape. I normally miss this morning sunshine because I am either inside my air-conditioned office or sleeping in at the weekend. It has a lovely yellow goldness about it that you just don't get very often in the Motherland. But speaking of good old Blighty, I also feel very lucky because in just 5 weeks I'll be heading home for a visit; not just 3 long weeks off work but a chance to spend time with my lovely dad and sister (the latter who I haven't seen since I left and am seriously missing now: cue tears at Heathrow!) and my many wonderful friends. I'm not sure how I'll control my excitement and fidgeting on the plane!

What with it having been my one-year anniversary of living here at the weekend, I've been doing a lot of soul-searching about my decision to come here, quickly followed by my decision to stay longer than the originally intended 12 months (and seriously, I didn't see that coming!). Living on the other side of the world from your family isn't easy, but I'm not going to pretend that living here in Australia is anywhere near a hardship. I love my job, my new Aussie friends, my flat, my more positive, laidback attitude and...um...the weather!


So what have been the biggest things of note since I moved Down Under?

1. I am now a total exercise and healthy eating convert. Sadly this doesn't mean I am suddenly skinny with thin thighs (never gonna happen without surgery!) but I am healthier, stronger, capable of running 14km (about 10 miles) non-stop, more toned and have a great way of getting rid of stress and anxiety and boosting my mood.

2. I have found a job I love (90% of the time) with a boss and team who trust and support my decisions and colleagues who are also, in the main, great friends.

3. I have had visits from many Pommy friends (Sarah and Chris, Dad, Ruth, Dean and the entire Valler fam, Lucy, Cousin Rob, and others).

4. Despite not being in the same country I've been asked to be godmother to beautiful baby Genevieve (aka Vivi) which I'm delighted about. I shall of course strive to be a great role model of adventurous, sassy, career girl living on other side of globe!

5. I live in a beautiful city with great weather (although more rain than I imagined) where I always feel a little bit like I'm on holiday.


Now I just need to find a husband ;)


I can't finish this ramble without a big shout out and thank you to my good friend Laura and her hubby Mark who, when they let me crash at their place for two whole months, made it a lot easier for me to settle into Sydney life and not have to rush into taking jobs I didn't really want. And also to Matt, who helped me be a better drinker ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment