Ramblings of a Brit girl living in Sydney

Everyday musings on life in the Motherland vs. life in Oz

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

I'm in love!

I'm back from a packed weekend in Melbourne and I have some very exciting news to share with you all: I have fallen in love! No, not with a man (don't be silly!) but with Melbourne itself; a wonderful place where I would happily have stayed exploring for many more days, even if I was really in need of a sleep in my own bed (which is precisely what I should be doing now and not writing this!).
The Melbourne/Sydney rivalry is well known but they're such different cities, I think a straight comparison is impossible. Suffice to say though, most people who have been to both will quickly establish whether they're more more suited to one or the other and I, my friends, am most definitely supposed to be a Melbourne girl!
My Sydney life is fantastic and I've been lucky enough to meet some truly lovely people who I will not say goodbye to lightly. Plus, Sydney is probably one of the most amazing cities to live in the world. It's iconic, it has the harbour bridge and the opera house, spectacular beaches, hot weather and great jobs. I still get overwhelmed when I cross the bridge and look across the water (or indeed, from my balcony!) to the opera house, and I always feel just a little bit like I'm on holiday here (see previous rambling on how great life is in general).
But here's the thing: a lot of the things that people think are best about Sydney, I don't take advantage of. I don't go to the beach, I stay out of the sun and I don't like it when it gets too hot. You may indeed ask yourself why I'm in Australia at all! I'm not that sure either but it sure beats the UK! The other thing is, until I went to Melbourne for the first time this weekend, I had no idea how very 'me' it was and now I can't help but compare one to the other. More tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment