Ramblings of a Brit girl living in Sydney

Everyday musings on life in the Motherland vs. life in Oz

Friday, March 20, 2009

Countdown to my return to the Motherland!

It's 20 days until I board the plane back to Blighty and I'm very excited. Apart from all the lovely family and friends I can't wait to see, there are a few things I am really looking forward to seeing/eating/experiencing again.

These include:

  • Prawn cocktail crisps

  • Proper English pubs

  • The Queen's finest Royal Mail red letterboxes

  • Stamps with the Queen on them (this is getting very patriotic, isn't it?)

  • Underground stations

  • Topshop, Whittards , Boots, Superdrug and WH Smith

  • Fish and chips wrapped in paper and covered in VINEGAR

  • The house where I grew up, which I've never been away from for this long

  • The beautiful village of Heddington

  • Trafalgar Square

  • Big Ben

  • BBC TV shows

  • The Sunday Times Style magazine

  • Marks and Spencers, especially the food!

  • Heathrow Airport

  • Black cabs
  • Oxford Street, especially Selfridges

And most of all I am going to be devastated to see every High Street lacking a Woolworths. It was a British institution!

4 comments:

  1. Bad news on Whittards... when I was home at Christmas they announced their closure (although there were rumours of a buyer).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! Good job I have an extensive collection of their crockery already. Maybe I should ship it back...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whittards still trading online and in a number of stores.

    If you want a sort of Woolworths, go to Dorchester, an old store has re-opened as "Wellworths" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, puh-leeease bring me back the Style section!

    ReplyDelete